Velvety Tree Ants
Physical Characteristics of Velvety Tree Ants
- Velvety tree ants are shades of red and black in color with a shiny velvety belly.
- Can grow between 1/8″ to 1/4″ in length and can be fast runners.
- They release an unpleasant odor when crushed.
Velvety Tree Ant Behavior
- Known to be aggressive and territorial.
- Velvety tree ants nest in moist wood and in the cracks of trees.
- They tend to invade homes when searching for food, nesting indoors in wet or rotting wood.
Las Vegas Food Sources
- Velvety tree ants will eat anything sweet. They tend to eat honeydew excreted from aphids.
- Velvety tree ants will also eat live and dead insects.
Velvety Tree Ant Life Cycle
- Colonies can grow from 60,000 to 80,000 workers in one year, only a small percentage will reach the adult stage.
- Males can live from 15 to 37 days while queens can live 19 – 268 days.
- Life cycles can vary depending on humidity and temperature.
Velvety Tree Ant Las Vegas Information and Warnings
- Velvety tree ant colonies may be hard to find since nests are far above the ground.
- They usually nest outdoors but can enter homes when looking for other food sources.
- Be cautious in areas of your home where there is wet or rotting wood.
- Velvety tree ants are different compared to other pests. They are easily quick to bite if they feel threatened.
The best way to treat and prevent a Las Vegas infestation is to have Fischer’s Pest Control inspect the area and determine how to eliminate the ants. Contact us at (702) 348-9278 for a free consultation.