Physical Characteristics of Odorous Ants
- Odorous ants range in color, usually from brown to black.
- Their bodies range from 1/16 to 1/8 inches with long antennaes.
- Odorous ants are known to release a terrible smell when they die.
Odorous Ant Behavior
- They nest indoors and outdoors. You can find them under your sink, doormats, under rocks, trash cans, potted plants, and exposed soil.
- These ants are very resilient and tough. Workers who are injured continue to forage and work for the colony. Some queens with damaged abdomens are still able to lay eggs.
- They can also survie without food or water for over two months.
Las Vegas Food Sources
- Odorous ants tend to travel in trails and forage for food day and night.
- They prefer sweets but they will feed on anything inside your home.
- They also feed off insects, seeds, and plant secretions.
Odorous Ant Life Cycle
- Odorous ant colonies can range from 100 workers to 10,000 with hundreds of queens.
- Queens live at least 8 months. Workers tend to live a few months but sometimes can live as long as the queen.
- Males appear to only live one week. After a few days of mating, males usually die and females begin new colonies.
Odorous Ant Las Vegas Information and Warnings
- Odorous ants will eat anything you leave out inside your home.
- Their bites are not dangerous but they can become an annoyance due to their persistence traveling in large numbers and contaminating your food.
If your experiencing an odorous ant infestation in your home, reach out to a professional pest control company as soon as possible.