Physical Characteristics of Carpenter Ants
- Carpenter ants can range in size from 3.4 to 13 mm long.
- The most common color of carpenter ants are black but some can be shades of red or yellow depending on species.
Carpenter Ant Behavior
- Carpenter ants can live outdoor and indoors in moist areas usually in old rotting wood.
- They will dig into the wood grain and form their nests inside. Most species of carpenter ants will forage for food during night time.
- When carpenter ants find food sources they leave a trail of pheromones from the source to the nest to increase the strength of the foraging trail.
Las Vegas Food Sources
- Carpenter ants are foragers, common food sources include honeydew from aphids and nectar from other plants.
- Carpenter ants will pretty much eat anything humans eat as well as other insects.
Carpenter Ant Life Cycle
- A full functional colony can take 3 to 6 years to be established.
- The life cycle of a carpenter ant can be anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks from egg to adult.
- Carpenter ant queens can live up to 25 years while laying thousands of eggs in their lifetime.
Carpenter Ant Las Vegas Information and Warnings
- Be on the look out for wood debris mixed with parts of dead ants.
- Carpenter ants are not aggressive but if their nests are disturbed, they will bite to defend themselves.
- Carpenter ants are known to be one of the bigger species, their bite can break the skin but they are not poisonous to humans.