California Harvester Ants
Physical Characteristics of California Harvester Ants
- Harvester ants can range from 5- 10 mm. Worker ants can vary in size.
- Known to be different shades of red with large heads and hairs on their chin.
California Harvester Ant Behavior
- Harvester ants tend not to invade houses and buildings but will establish nests around your yard and gardens which can sometimes destroy vegetation.
- Harvester ants can be aggressive with painful stings that can cause allergic reactions. Aside from their stings, they are known to have a vicious bite.
- Large dirt mounds and ruined vegetation are signs of infestation.
- These ants are mostly active in the daytime during warm weather.
Las Vegas Food Sources
- Workers harvest seeds and pollen directly from plants as their main food source.
- They can also gather and feed off the corpses from dead insects.
California Harvester Ant Life Cycle
- Harvester ants are most common in southwestern states with colonies growing up to 10,000 to 20,000 individuals.
- A Queen can live up to 40 years. Many colonies can survive for 20 years.
- Colonies can inhabit a nest that is up to 5 meters (16 ft deep).
California Harvester Ant Las Vegas Information and Warnings
- Harvester ants are aggressive biters and their stings are poisonous.
- Unlike most ants, their stinger is left in the wound.
- Their level of aggression and venom potency can differ from certain species.
The best way to treat and prevent a Las Vegas infestation is to have Fischer’s Pest Control inspect the area and determine how to eliminate the ants. Contact us at (702) 348-9278 for a free consultation.